(Professor Dr.) Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abd. Rahman
(Professor Dr.) Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abd. Rahman
Areas of expertise:
Bacteriology, Molecular Biology, Structural Biology
Raja Noor Zaliha is a very energetic molecular and structural biologist who is fully committed to the advancement of science and technology in the country, particularly in biotechnology and is very well known locally and internationally in her field. She was conferred the Doctor of Engineering from Kyoto University in 1998, majoring in molecular biology. Her initial interest in research is the acquisition of novel microbial enzymes, with particular interest on the isolation of microbes producing thermostable and organic tolerant proteases and lipases. The focus of her work is currently shifting towards determination of enzyme structures and the mechanism of reactions of these enzymes. Such knowledge is valuable to the subsequent studies, particularly on the engineering of the enzymes to enhance their infinities for specific organic synthesis, to be followed by the utilization of the enhanced enzymes as catalysts in the production of various industrial products.
The most important tool in structural biology is crystallography, which is a new research area in the Malaysia. Raja Noor Zaliha was the first to have successfully crystallized her protein and elucidated the detailed structure of the protein by X-ray crystallography and a synchrotron facility in Japan. In the recent Malaysian National Space Programme, she was as one of Principle Investigators for the three scientific projects selected for this mission. Her project entitled ‘Protein Crystallization in Space’ was a huge success.
Research in microbes producing novel enzymes is very productive for her, boasting an extensive output of research products in a relatively short period of time. To date, she has published 96 papers in refereed journals, most of which are in renowned international journals, contributed 11 book chapters and written one book which is in international circulation since 2006. She has successfully filed for 12 patents in Malaysia and 9 patents overseas (Singapore, Indonesia, Europe, Japan and USA). To date two of her patents were granted, one in the United States in 2008 and another one granted earlier in Singapore in 2007. Besides that, she has 4 trademarks, 30 sequences submitted for accession numbers, 20 novel microorganisms isolated and 5 microorganisms deposited. In fact, she has one of the novel bacteria officially named after her, Goebacillus zalihae strain T1. In addition to that, her participations in local and international exhibitions have won her more than 72 medals. Her most recent success is the National Intellectual Property Award 2008, the First Prize in Individual Category
1) Rahman, R. N. Z. A., Fujiwara, S., Takagi, M., Kanaya, S., and Imanaka, T. (1997). Effect of heat treatment on proper oligomeric structure formation of thermostable glutamate dehydrogenase from a hyperthermophilic archaeon. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 241, 646-652.
2) Rahman, R. N. Z. A, Jongsareejit, B., Fujiwara, S. and Imanaka, T. (1997). Characterization of recombinant glutamine synthetase from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrococcus sp. strain KOD1. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 63, 2472 – 2476.
3) Rahman, R. N. Z. A., Fujiwara, S., Nakamura H., Takagi, M., and Imanaka, T. (1998). Ion pairs involved for maintaining a thermostable structure of glutamate dehydrogenase (GDH) from a hyperthermophilic archaeon. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 248: 920-926.
4) Rahman, R. N. Z. A., Fujiwara, S., Takagi, M., and Imanaka, T. (1998). Sequence analysis of glutamate dehydrogenase (GDH) from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrococcus sp. KOD1 and comparison of enzyme characteristics of native and recombinant GDHs. Mol. Gen. Genet. 257, 338-347.
5) *Chin John Hun, Raja Noor Zaliha Abd. Rahman, Abu Bakar Salleh And Mahiran Basri (2003) A Newly Isolated Organic Solvent Tolerant Bacillus Sphaericus 205y Producing Organic Solvent Stable lipase. Biochem. Eng. J 15: 147-151
6) *Zhibiao F, Suhali Bt Ab. Hamid, Che Nyonya A. Razak, Mahiran Basri, Abu Bakar Salleh, Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abd. Rahman (2003) Secretory expression in Escherichia coli and single step purification of a heat-stable alkaline protease. Protein Purification and Expression. 28: 63-68
7) *Raja Noor Zaliha Abd. Rahman, Chin John Hun, , Abu Bakar Salleh And Mahiran Basri (2003) Cloning and expression of novel organic solvent-tolerant lipase gene from Bacillus sphaericus 205y. Mol Genet Genomics; 269 (2): 252-60.
8) *Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abd. Rahman* a, Bimo Ario Tejo a, Mahiran Basri a, M. Basyarudin A. Rahman a, Farid Khanb, Sharifuddin M. Zainc, Teruna J. Siahaan, Abu Bakar Salleh. (2004) Reductive alkylation of lipase: Experimental and molecular modeling approaches. J. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 118:11-20
9) *Raja Noor Zaliha Abd Rahman*, Lee Poh Geok, Che Nyonya Abdul Razak, Mahiran Basri and Abu Bakar Salleh (2005). An organic solvent-tolerant protease from Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain K: nutritional factors affecting protease production. Enzyme and Microbial Technology. 36:749-757
10) *Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abdul Rahman, S.N. Baharum, Abu Bakar Salleh and Mahiran Basri (2005). High Yield Purification of an Organic Solvent Tolerant Lipase from Pseudomonas sp. strain S5’. Analytical Biochemistry. 341:267-274
11) *Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abdul Rahman, Thean Chor Leow, Mahiran Basri, and Abu Bakar Salleh (2005) Secretory Expression of Thermostable T1 Lipase through Bacteriocin Release Protein (BRP) Protein Purification and Expression. 40/2 : 411-416
12) *Raja Noor Zaliha Abd Rahman,*Lee Poh Geok, Che Nyonya Abdul Razak, Mahiran Basri and Abu Bakar Salleh (2005). Physical factors affecting the production of organic solvent tolerant lipase by Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain K. Bioresource Techno. 96: 429-436
13) *Raja Noor Zaliha Abd. Rahman, Farinazleen Mohamad Ghazali, Abu Bakar Salleh, Mahiran Basri. (2006) Biodegradation of petroleum hydrocarbon contamination by immobilized bacterial cells. Journal of Microbiology. 44 :354-359
14) *Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abd Rahman, Lee Poh Geok, Mahiran Basri, Abu Bakar Salleh, (2006) An organic solvent-stable alkaline protease from Pseudomonas aeroginosa Strain K: enzyme purification and characterization. Enzyme Microbiol. Technol. 39 (2006) 1484–1491
15) *Moohamad Ropaning Sulong, Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abdul Rahman, Abu Bakar Salleh, Mahiran Basri (2006) Comparison studies of intra- and extracellular expression of a novel organic solvent tolerant lipase from Bacillus sphaericus 205y. Protein Purification and Expression. 49190–195
16) *Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abdul Rahman, Syarul Nataqain Baharum Abu Bakar Salleh and Mahiran Basri (2006) S5 Lipase: An Organic Solvent Tolerant Enzyme. Journal of Microbiology. 44: 583-590
17) *Leow, T. C., Rahman, R. N. Z. A., Basri, M. and Salleh, A. B. (2007) High Temperature Crystallization of Thermostable T1 Lipase. Crystal Growth & Design. 7: 406-410
18) *Leow, T. C, Rahman, R. N. Z. R. A.,., Salleh, A. B., and Basri, M., (2007). A Highly Stable Thermoalkalophilic Lipase of Geobacillus sp. T1. Extremophiles 11:527-535
19) *Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abdul Rahman, Salihan Muhamad, , Abu Bakar Salleh, Mahiran Basri (2007). A New Organic Solvent Tolerant Protease from Bacillus pumilus 115b. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 34:509–517
20) *Rahman, R. N. Z. R. A., Leow, T. C., Salleh, A. B., and Basri, M., (2007). Geobacillus zalihae T1, a novel thermophilic lipolytic bacterium isolated from palm oil mill effluent in Malaysia. BMC Microbiology BMC Microbiology 2007, 7:77
21) *Hiroyoshi Matsumura1*, Takahiko Yamamoto1, Leow Thean Chor2, Abu Bakar Salleh2, Mahiran Basri2, Tsuyoshi Inoue1, Yasushi Kai1, Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abd Rahman2* (2008) Novel cation-|*pi*| interaction revealed by crystal structure of thermoalkalophilic lipase, PROTEINS: Structure, Function, and Bioinformatics 70 (2): 592-598.
*(a full list of publications will be provided to anyone who is interested).
More from Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
Home page |
Asia Research News | All Latest News |
Focus On... |
About ResearchSEA |
Ask An Expert | Contact Us | Terms And Conditions
© ResearchSEA 2004 - 2016