(Professor Dr.) Suhaila Mohamed
(Professor Dr.) Suhaila Mohamed
Areas of expertise:
Functional Food/ Nutraceutical
Professor Dr. Suhaila Mohamed received her B.Sc Hons in Food Science and Physiology (Combined studies, double major) from University of Leeds UK in 1977. She then obtained a PhD degree from University of Leeds UK in 1981 where she researched from 1978 to 1980 on the Bio-physicochemical properties of protein alginate gels.
She began her professional academic career at the Department of Food Science, UPM as a Tutor in 1978 and was appointed a Lecturer in 1981. She was promoted to Associate Professor in 1990 and was made a Professor in 1996. Her research career focused on the Functional Food and Bio-physico-chemical properties of Food. She was the Head of the Technology Commercialisation Unit, University Business Centre, UPM from 1996-1997; Head of BioAssay Unit 1, Interim Laboratory, National Pharmaceutical and Nutraceutical Institute, Ministry of Science Technology and Environment 2001-2005; Head of Functional Food Laboratory, Faculty of Food Science and Technology, UPM, 2006-to date; National Executive Committee member of the use of Halal products, Malaysian Islamic Centre, Prime Ministers Department 1982-1997; National Executive committee member of Malaysian Muslim Women Consultation Board, Prime Minister's Department from 2000-to date; and has been the Hon. Secretary and Chairman of UPM's Woman staff Association PERMATA.
1. Habib M.A.B., Yusof F.M., Phang S.M., Ang K.J. and Mohamed S. (1997) Nutritional values of chironomid larvae grown in palm oil mill effluent and algal culture. Aquaculture 158:95-105
2. Habib M.A.B., Yusof F.M., Phang S.M., Ang K.J. and Mohamed S. (1998) Chemical characteristics and nutritional value of agroindustrial effluents in Malaysia Asian fisheries Science Vol 11(3) 279-286
3. Mustaffa, R., Azizah Osman, S. Yusof and S. Mohamed (1998) Physico-chemical changes in Cavendish banana (Musa cavendishii L. var. Montel) at different positions within a bunch during development and maturation. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 78:201-207
4. Lim Poh Lean and Suhaila Mohamed. (1999) Antioxidative and antimycotic effects of turmeric, lemon grass, betel leaves, cloves, black pepper leaves and Garcinia atriviridus on butter cakes J. Sc Food Agric 79:1817-1822.
5. Suhaila Mohamed, Noordin Mohamed Mustapha, Augustine Teo Kwok Chin, Roslina Rais and Tan Thong Yon (2001) The Efficacy of Centella Asiatica (Pegaga) in alleviating cholesterol induced Cardiovascular, liver and renal damage in rats. Journal of Tropical medicinal plants. Vol 2(1):73-84
6. Suhaila Mohamed, Noordin Mohamed Mustapha, Irim Norhafiza Baharuddin, Rosazlin Abdullah and Khairiah Hamsan (2001) The Efficacy of Cymbopogon citratus (lemon grass) in alleviating cholesterol induced Cardiovascular, liver and renal damage in rats. Journal of Tropical medicinal plants. Vol 2(2):
7. Ling Soon Ching And Suhaila Mohamed (2001) Alpha-Tocopherol Content In 62 Edible tropical Plants. Journal of Agric Food Chem 49/6 p3101-3105
8. Koo Hui Miean and Suhaila Mohamed (2001) The Flavonoids (Myricetin, quercetin, kaempferol, luteolin, apigenin) content of edible tropical plants. Journal of Agric Food Chem 49/6 p3106-3112
9. Tee P.L., Salmah Yusof and Suhaila Mohamed (2002) Antioxidative properties of Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) In linoleic acid model system J. Nutrition and Food Science 32 (1) : 17-20
10. Abeywardena M, Runnie I, Nizar M, Head R; Suhaila Mohamed. 2002. Polyphenol-enriched extract of oil palm fronds (Elaeis guineensis) promotes vascular relaxation via endothelium-dependent mechanisms. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 11 Suppl 7: S467-S472.
11. Pau Ling Tee, Salmah Yusof, Suhaila Mohamed, Nor Aini Umar and Noordin Mohamed Mustapha (2002) Effect of roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) on serum lipids of Sprague Dawley Rats Nutrition and Food Science 32(4-5):190-6
12. Zamree, M.S. , Abdul-Hamid. A. ,Mohamed S. and Muse R. (2002). Characterisatiop of Antioxidative activities of various extracts of Centella asiatica. Food Chemistry 77-(4): 465-471
13. M.N.Salleh, Irine R., P.D. Roach, Suhaila Mohamed, R.J. Head and M.Y. Abeywardena+ (2002) Inhibition of LDL Oxidation and Upregulating LDL Receptor in HepG2 Cells by Tropical Plant Extracts J. Agric Food Chem 50(13): 3693-7
14. Habib, M.A.B. F.M. Yusoff, S.M. Phang and S. Mohamed. (2003). Growth and nutritional values of Moina micrura fed on chlorella vulgaris grown in digested palm oil mill effluent. Asian fisheries Science: 16: 107-119
15. Irine Runniea, Noordin Mohamed Mustaphab, Radzali Musec, Azizah Hamida, Hapizah Nawawid, Mahinda Y. Abeywardenae, and Suhaila Mohamed (2003) Antioxidant and Hypocholesterolemic Effects of Elaies guineensis Frond Extract on Hypercholesterolemic Rabbits – ASEAN Food J. – 12:137-148
16. Zatasya A. Latip And Suhaila Mohamed (2004) -Tocopourol In 60 Malaysian Edible And Medicinal Plants Asean food J. – 13 (2):103-112
17. Yap1 Keng Wai, Yazid Abdul Manap, Maznah Ismail, Diederick Meyer & Suhaila Mohamed1 (2005) Dose-Response Effects of Inulin on the Faecal Short-chain Fatty Acids content and mineral absorption of Formula-fed Infants J. Nutr food Sci 35(4) 208-219
18. Patricia M., Suhaila M., Noordin M.M., Charles S.V. and Kharidah M. (2005) Antioxidative and cholesterol lowering properties of Malaysian Edible Seaweeds. Current Trends and Perspectives: 79-93
19. Zaulia Othman, Suhaila Mohamed, Azizah Osman and Mohamed Selamat Madom (2006) The postharvest sensory and chemical characteristics of cold-stored pineapples pretreated with different fruitone concentrations J Sc Food Agric 86 (13) 2067-76
20. Wong Kam Huey, Suraini Abdul Aziz and Suhaila Mohamed (2006) Sensory Odours From Maillard Reaction Of Individual And Combinations Of Amino Acids With Glucose In Acidic Conditions J Food Science and Technology – (in press).
*(a full list of publications will be available on request)
More from Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
Home page |
Asia Research News | All Latest News |
Focus On... |
About ResearchSEA |
Ask An Expert | Contact Us | Search | Terms And Conditions
© ResearchSEA 2004 - 2015