(Professor Dr.) Jayum Anak Jawan
(Professor Dr.) Jayum Anak Jawan
Areas of expertise:
Malaysian Politics and Government
Jayum Anak Jawan hails from Sarawak, East Malaysia. He received his early education from various schools such as the Methodist Schools, Sibu, St. Thomas Kuching, and Ling Chu Ming, Sibu.
Jayum received his B.A. from the University of North Carolina at Asheville, USA in October 1980, and his M.A. from Appalachian State University at Boone, North Carolina, USA in December 1981. He joined UPM as lecturer in politics and government in 1982. In October 1989, he was sent to further his studies leading to a Ph.D.; he received his Ph.D. from the University of Hull in December 1991. He was appointed Associate Professor in 1994, and subsequently Professor in 2001.
At UPM, he teaches Malaysian Politics and Government, a basic undergraduate foundation course. He has also taught at Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS) for two consecutive semesters in 1997, and at Kolej Ikram, Kajang in 1995.
Outside the University, he is consultant to and at the same time sits as Chair of the Expert Panel on Malaysian Studies of the National Accreditation Board (Lembaga Akreditasi Negara [LAN]), of the Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia (since 1997). He is also frequently consulted by the Department of National pertaining to matters relating to national integration.
He has published extensively on the politics and development of the Dayak/ Iban and on Sarawak in particular as well as on Malaysian politics generally. In 2004, he was invited to sit as Tun Jugah Professorial Fellow at the University of Hull, England for a two months period.
1. 1987. The Sarawak State Election of 1987: The Dayakism Factor. KL: Maju Tulis.
2. 1991. The Ethnic Factor in Modern Politics: The Case of Sarawak, East Malaysia. Occasional Paper No.20, Centre for South-East Asian Studies, University of Hull.
3. 1993. The Iban Factor in Sarawak Politics. Serdang: UPM Press.
4. 1996. (with Victor T. King). The Ibans of Sarawak, Malaysia: Ethnicity, Marginalisation and Development. IN Dennis Dwyer & David Drakakis-Smith (eds). Ethnicity and Development. London: John Wiley and Sons, Chapter 9, pp.195-214.
5. 1997. (with Asnarulkhadi Abu Samah) (eds). Kenegaraan Malaysia. 2nd Print. Serdang. Universiti Putra Malaysia Publisher.
6. 1997. (with Victor T. King). The Ibans of Sarawak: The Nature of their Peripherality and Its Political and Economic Consequences. IN Tan Chee Beng (ed). Contribution to Southeast Asian Ethnography. New Delhi (India): Published by BR Publishing for Anthony Walker, pp.33-59.
7. 1998. Leadership and Development: Identifying and Setting Priorities for the Iban in the 21st Century. Serdang. Author.
8. 2001. (Contributing editors [editor benumbing]). IN Vinson Sutlive, Jr. & Joanne Sutlive. (Gen. Eds.). Encyclopedia of Iban Studies, Volume I. Kuala Lumpur: Ampang Press for Tun Jugah Foundation.
9. 2001. (Contributing editors [editor penyumbang]), in Vinson Sutlive, Jr. & Joanne Sutlive. (gen. Eds.). Encyclopedia of Iban Studies, Volume IV: Bibliographical Entries. Kuala Lumpur: Ampang Press for Tun Jugah Foundation.
10. 2003. Politics and Government in Malaysia. 3rd print. Shah Alam (Selangor): Karisma Publications
11. 2004. (& V. T. King). Ethnicity and Electoral Politics in Sarawak East Malaysia. Bangi: Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Press.
12. 2006. (w/Zaid Ahmad) (Eds). Inter-Ethnic Relations in Malaysia: Selected Readings. Serdang: Universiti Putra Malaysia Press.
13. 2006. (w/Zaid Ahmad) (Eds). SKP2204: Hubungan Etnik: Panduan Pengajaran dan Pembelajaran. Serdang: Jabatan Pengajian Kenegaraan & Ketamadunan, Universiti Putra Malaysia. (DITARIK OLEH KERAJAAN PERSEKUTUAN [Withdrawn based on open directive of the Federal Government])
14. 2006. “Ethnic Groups of Sarawak”. IN The Encyclopedia of Malaysia: Peoples and Traditions, Vol. 12. Kuala Lumpur: Didier Millets., 76-77.
15. 2006. “Classification and Identity of Sarawak Ethnic Groups”. IN The Encyclopedia of Malaysia: Peoples and Traditions, Vol. 12. Kuala Lumpur: Didier Millets., 78-79.
16. 2007. (Allen, M.W. & Ng, S.H. and Ikeda, K., Jawan, J.A., Sufi, A.H., Wilson, M., & Yang, K.S.). Two decades of change in cultural values and economic development in eight East Asian and Pacific Island nations. Journal of Cross-cultural Psychology, 38(3), 247-269.
*a full list of publications is available upon request.
More from Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
Translate this Page...
Home page |
What's New |
All Latest News |
Focus On... |
About ResearchSEA |
Ask An Expert | Contact Us | Search | Terms And Conditions
© ResearchSEA 2005 - 2010